The World According to Mike: Redneck Pride!

Monday, April 25, 2005

Redneck Pride!

In recent days I've been criticized for my pride in being a redneck.For some reason alot of folks (most of whom are city-slickers) seem to think the term is automatically derogatory. Quite the contrary, it is in fact something to take pride in. Foxworthy's definition is probably the closest to the way I mean it: The glorious absence of sophistication. This is not to say I'm taking pride in being stupid as one individual alluded to. While my formal education is indeed quite limited with only a high school diploma and 37 units from a junior college, I have an MBA from HKU (Hard Knocks University). Most of what I've learned in my relatively brief 38 years I've learned by living life and busting my tail for every single thing I own.

In summary, if the ability to work with one's hands, think on one's feet, etc, etc are bad things, color me bad!

What this world needs is a few more rednecks
Some people ain't afraid to take a stand
What this world needs is a little more respect
For the Lord and the law and the workin' man
We could use a little peace and satisfaction
Some good people up front to take the lead
A little less talk and a little more action
And a few more rednecks is what we need.


~Charlie Daniels
Singer, Songwriter, Patriot, Redneck

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

2 Comments:

At 4/29/2005 10:36 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I sure hope it didn't take you the entire 4 days from original posting until now to come up with that one!

 
At 5/01/2005 9:48 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Actually, I should thank you for helping me to make my point. You, like most city born folks throw the term redneck around in a derogatory fashion without knowing what it means. You used cowboy terminology to poke fun my direction for being a redneck as if cowboy and redneck were synonymous. The two terms are in fact mutually exclusive. I've never said I was a cowboy although I have no problem with cowboys.

The popular etymology says that the term derives from such individuals having a red neck caused by working outdoors in the sunlight over the course of their lifetime. The effect of decades of direct sunlight on the exposed skin of the back of the neck not only reddens fair skin, but renders it leathery and tough, and typically very wrinkled by late middle age. Another popular theory steams from the use of red bandanas tied around the neck to signify union affiliation during the violent clashes between United Mine Workers and owners between 1910 and 1920.


It has always fascinated me how our culture bastardizes words to fit our needs. Our society has taken a word that essentially means "working man" and changed the definition to mean "white trash, bigot, low life, etc"

Well, if growing up on a ranch, callousing my hands and yes getting my neck red in the sun makes me white trash then so be it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home