The World According to Mike: The Schiavo Fiasco

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The Schiavo Fiasco

Well, since we can't turn our TVs on without hearing about it, I figure it's as good of place as any to start.

While I'm a firm believer in a person's right to terminate any kind of artificial life support if there is no hope of regaining consciousness, I have several problems with this case.

1) Terri's wishes were never put into writing.

2) There is too much dispute in the medical community to convince me personally she is in fact in a "persistant vegitative state".

3) Michael Schiavo has begun a new life with a different woman. Is this not adultery? Where I'm from that is grounds for divorce. This would make the parents the guardians in absence of a living will, would it not?

4) Conflict of interest: If you only watch or read "mainstream" media sources you're probably unaware of the fact that Judge Greer received a campain contribution from George Felos, Michael Schaivo's attorney. Anyone else see a problem with that?

To sum it up, I believe this situation sets a dangerous precedence. Where are we as a society to draw the line now?


StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

2 Comments:

At 4/01/2005 11:19 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Get a life?!?! Ouch!!! Actually, I do have one. I just hope I'm never unconscious for too long. Someone may take it from me.

 
At 4/02/2005 7:53 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I hope no one reads me wrong on this whole thing. I too will be drawing up some documents in the very near future. I haven't figured out just exactly how I'm going to word things yet but rest assured they will be worded in hopes of avoiding a fate such as Terri's.

I just smell a rat in this particular case. But I smell rats in lots of things so....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home